Alan Sepinwall the writer of the wildly popular online TV recap column, What’s Alan Watching?” and the best-selling book “The Revoluation Will be Televised. On this week’s show, Alan details how he originated his career as a TV writer, how he wound-up writing for Hitfix.com, and the keys to his successful self-published book.
Listen to our archives: https://www.influencereconomy.com Follow Ryan on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ryanjwill
Alan’s history as a TV writer dates back to the 1990’s. He’s a pioneer in the TV journalism industry, specifically in defining and shaping the category of online TV Show recaps. He is a great example of a successful creator in The Influencer Economy, as he self-published his book, selling it directly to his community. He has built an incredibly loyal following from writing online, and was able to deliver a book that his community wanted to read. He details his unique model of self-publishing which we can all learn from.
Subscribe to the show on iTunes here
Alan’s column: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching
Alan on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sepinwall
Alan’s original What’s Alan Watching blog: http://sepinwall.blogspot.com
From this episode you’ll learn:
- How Alan launched his writing career writing online in the 1990’s about NYPD Blue
- The history of Alan’s “What’s Alan Watching?” TV Recap column
- The background of how Alan went from working for the NJ Times Ledger to writing for the entertainment website Hitfix.com
- The secrets of how Alan self-published his book and got the attention of traditional publishers
- The origins of Alan appearing on Bill Simmons’ BS Report